A prenatal genetic counselor meets with individuals and couples who are expecting or are in the process of planning a pregnancy.
There are several reasons you may see a prenatal genetic counselor:
- Personal or family history of a chromosome abnormality, genetic condition, mental retardation, birth defects, or other disorder
- Personal or family history of multiple pregnancy losses or infertility
- Concerns about risks to a current pregnancy due to age, abnormal screening, ultrasound findings or diagnostic test results
- Concerns about being a carrier of a genetic condition due to your ethnicity
- To discuss information about available screening and testing options during a pregnancy