A cardiovascular genetic counselor specializes in understanding the genetic conditions that affect the heart.
There are several reasons you may see a cardiovascular genetic counselor:
- Personal or family history of heart arrhythmias, cardiomyopathy, coronary artery disease, or aneurysm
- Family history of sudden cardiac death or sudden death due to unknown causes
- Personal or family history of congenital (present from birth) heart defect or disease
- Personal or family history of a chromosome abnormality, genetic condition, or other disease that affects the heart
- To discuss available options that may include genetic testing, screening, or referral for management of heart disease